Sunday, February 7, 2010

18km in Bitter Headwind

Our Running Room training group gathered this morning, shortly after a brilliant sunrise, to do our long slow distance run of 18km. The run actually measured in at 17.5km. The sun, which we haven't seen for days, gave the impression that it might be warmer out that the forecast predicted, but no. It was -13C and colder, much colder, in the wind. The sun was really nice to see. We started out at a good pace, a little fast, actually, for a long slow distance run. We were maintaining 5:54-6:14/km and managed to carry that pace throughout the run. I was struggling a little bit. It wasn't my easiest run and not for the distance as I felt ka-ka from the start. Heavy, tight, tired legs. I did run an easy 6 junk-klicks yesterday and even that run felt tight and heavy -- probably an after effect of our 9-hills workout on Wednesday.

I suppose this is all normal and to be expected when we are entering the final four weeks before the race. We have two more long runs and then the taper, so we are building. And the fact that we maintained a pace that was pretty much a race pace and finished with a strong time has me excited. If the build, taper and race day all go according to plan, I might just beat my projected time by a lot! Very cool. I have to watch my left hip. I am having strained hip flexor issues.

We followed the run today with an hour of yoga, a latte and omelette and an afternoon of dog-sledding. It was just an ideal day in every way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for you comment on my blog!