Thursday, February 4, 2010

9 Hill Medley

Last night we hit the final night of hill training as we head into the final stretch of the half-marathon training program. Next week we start speedwork. Six weeks ago we began our hill training with three hills. Back then, we felt it. Last night we clobbered nine hills and the total workout brought us to 12km. We also threw in the flight of 107 stairs which bring us to a beautiful scenic lookout over Kempenfelt Bay. I wish I had packed a camera. One of these days I will have to capture that view to share. We had become very familiar with five of the hills, but one street presented a daunting steep grade to us. I cursed it from the bottom. I ran it. And then I cursed it from the top. But, did it ever hurt so good! I was quite proud of myself, as many of the other runners had succumbed to walking portions of, or complete hills. I had a fantastic workout last night. Legs are feeling really good and my speed seems to be improving. I can really appreciate how far we have come with the training we have put in thus far.

On the topic of speed, the Speed Demons (elite marathoner group) were also out for some speed-hill training. I was approaching the foot of one hill with my training partner and the Demons were gathered at the base of the hill being instructed by their coach. We quipped to the group as we passed, "Hey, a little less talk and more action!" While we were able to dish out a dose of cocky 'tude, we was unaware than in the next moment we were to prepare to be humbled. The Demons set out like a thunderous herd and blasted past us like a fury. Oh, we were humbled all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for you comment on my blog!