Monday, March 22, 2010

Getting up there in training runs

The training is increasing. Weekly mileage and long Sunday runs are on the rise and so far, so good.

This past week, the mileage increased by 10%. Oops, not the 2% increment that is recommended. I trod cautiously through the week, paying attention to my body and it's complaints.

I am craving carbs and when not fueling properly I am reaching for honey and simple sugars. I was buying gummy bears for a couple of days in a row last week. That is a tell-tale sign that something is amiss.

I am ache and pain free until about the 14km mark in any given run. That is when the top insertion point of my hamstrings, glutes and low-back (sacro-iliac) starts to kick in. I had a great long run yesterday and it would have been 100% had it not been for this nagging pain.

I did an hour of yoga when I got home, spent some time on a tennis ball and foam roller and that felt better. A trip to a chiropractor would help loosen up that seemingly seized sacro-iliac area, too, I am sure.

We have the Around the Bay 30K race this weekend, but I am going to treat it like a long training run as I would rather my race focus be the Mississauga Marathon on May 16.

Looks like we have a decent day lined up for this Sunday :: part sun/cloud and 4 C. Neither hot, wet or frigid. Just right. Ahhh, now for the big question...what to wear?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for you comment on my blog!